Own a Habitat Thunder Bay Home
|Habitat for Humanity Thunder Bay works in partnership with families living in inadequate housing to build them homes they can afford. || |
Each Habitat for Humanity affiliate accepts home applications and select families to receive homes with afforable mortgages based on three criteria:
- Level of need - Familes must be below the government-set Low Income Cut-Off
- Ability to repay a Habitat mortgage - The familes must have a stable income sufficient to cover mortgage payments as well as other costs associated with home ownership.
- Willingness to partner with Habitat - Families must be willing to contribute 500 hours of volunteer labour, or "sweat equity" in building their home.
What will this involve for you?
• You'll complete 500 hours of volunteer time as a family before moving into your house.
• You'll make regular monthly payments on your mortgage.
• You'll disclose your income to Habitat on an annual basis.
• You'll maintain your home in good repair.
What will you gain from this experience?
• You'll have the satisfaction of buying a home of your own.
• You'll have an interest-free mortgage which costs much less than a traditional bank mortgage.
• You'll have pride in helping other families by contributing volunteer time on other homes before and during your build.
• You'll get a sense of community from working with other volunteers, and we hope you will continue to support Habitat for Humanity Thunder Bay through working as a volunteer and speaking positively about how Habitat has helped your family.
Since 1994 we have built 22 homes in Thunder Bay, improving the lives of our partner families and the community we serve.
Want to learn more?
Contact Diane Mitchell at (807) 345-5520 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org