Who We Are
Habitat for Humanity Thunder Bay is one of 1,400 Habitat for Humanity affiliates worldwide sharing a common vision and social purpose.
Since 1994 Habitat for Humanity of Thunder Bay has been building homes and hope for families in need by providing affordable housing in the community of Thunder Bay. To date 41 families and numerous children have been served through our homeownership program and over 32 new homes have been constructed.
Habitat for Humanity Thunder Bay’s success can only be attributed to the partnership and the support of the community. Together with your contribution we can ensure everyone has a safe, decent, and affordable place to live. Our build projects can only happen with the support of our business partners and sponsors.
1 in every 8 families in Canada must choose between paying rent or buying food. We firmly believe that our homeownership plan is one of the best ways to break the cycle of poverty ensuring that no one has to choose between shelter or food. At Habitat we provide “a hand up, not a hand out,” All families are required to put in 500 hours of sweat equity, working side-by-side with volunteers to construct their own home, assisting on other builds or helping out in our ReStore or office.
Our core values
Housing for all: We believe that access to safe, decent and affordable housing is a basic human right that should be available to all.
Human dignity: We believe in the worth and dignity of every human being. We respect the people we serve and those that help us in this effort and recognize them as our greatest resource.
Partnership: We believe we can best achieve our mission through meaningful and mutually beneficial partnerships with others.
Faith in action: We believe that faith is lived through action. Building on our Christian foundation, we serve and work with people of all faiths and beliefs in a spirit of justice and compassion.
Diversity and Inclusiveness: We believe there is a role for everyone committed to our vision, mission and values and we seek to enrich our organization through diversity.
How it all Works
Through our unique affordable homeownership program, we offer families a hand up, empowering them to build strength, stability and self-reliance.
- Families purchase an affordable home from Habitat for Humanity Thunder Bay at fair market value, most often with no down payment required.
- Approved homeowners purchase their home through two mortgages for a 20-year term. The first mortgage is through a traditional lender with market interest rates, and the second mortgage which covers the majority of the home value is through Habitat for Humanity Thunder Bay with no interest.
- Mortgage payments are calculated so that families spend no more than 32% of their household income on housing costs.
- As part of their partnership with Habitat for Humanity Thunder Bay, families contribute “sweat equity” of 500 volunteer hours helping build their home, other Habitat homes, or helping in our ReStores.
- Every family attends homeownership and financial education workshops to prepare themselves for first-time homeownership.
- As families pay off their mortgages, the money is reinvested back into the program to provide more families with strength, stability and self-reliance through affordable homeownership.