Helping lower income families in Thunder Bay to build a better life through affordable homeownership.
Have you always dreamed of owning your own home? Do you have a job, but find that you are having trouble getting ahead? We are looking for Partner families who would like to work with us to build an affordable and safe home that they can call their own.
For questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Habitat for Humanity Thunder Bay reserves the right to make the final decision for acceptance on all applications. The following criteria are applied to determine eligibility:
- The applicant must be employed for a minimum of the past two years in the community in which the house will be built.
- Must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada.
- Must not be receiving income from Employment & Income Assistance (social assistance).
- Must be ready to live where Habitat is building in the community.
- Must be willing to complete 500 sweat equity hours prior to house possession.
- Preference will be given to families with young children.
- Present housing must be at least one of the following: too expensive, too small, unsafe, or substandard; applicants cannot currently own a house.
- Prepared to purchase a home at market value and able to commit to a mortgage. Monthly mortgage payments (which include property taxes) are 27% of total family income as defined on line 150 of the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment.
- Total family income as defined on line 150 of the CRA Notice of Assessment must be less than $75,592. Minimum income to qualify for the program is $26,667.
- Must be willing to provide the most recent CRA Notice of Assessment, as well as consent for Habitat to contact references from employer, landlord, and 2 other people who know the family well.
- Must be willing to provide your last 3 pay statements from all jobs and 2 months of all bank and financial statements, including credit card statements.
- Must consent to a credit check.
- Must be at least 3 years since a bankruptcy has been discharged.